Friday, February 19, 2010

A Glitter of Green and Golden Wonder

Ansel Adams is the source of the header picture. His website is worth the visit. The black and white pictures are truly spectacular.

From the Artsy page...please, be sure to visit. The images are insanely cool and worth a few minutes of your time.
            Our Ansel Adams page provides visitors with Adams's bio, over 150 of his works, exclusive articles, and               up-to-date Adams exhibition listings. The page also includes related artists and categories, allowing                     viewers to discover art beyond our Adams page.

The picture was taken in 1942. It's called Yosemite Valley Clearing Winterstorm [be sure to click on the images--they get larger and they are incredible].

Yosemite is a National Park in California. The number of links amazes me. Try this one too.

Ansel Adams captured the valley in photo more than once. He is quoted as saying: "Yosemite Valley, to me, is always a sunrise, a glitter of green and golden wonder in a vast edifice of stone and space."

The image of the waterfall is another Yosemite destination. Specifically, it's Bridal Veil Falls. Cool, eh?

Once upon a time I used to be in high school. My Advanced Biology class went there for a class trip. Mr. Forward was our fearless leader and chaperon while we (Dave, Don, Julie, Angie, and Joann to name a few) stayed there for a week. We stayed for a period of time in Tuolemne Meadows. We hiked to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls (a great description in wiki here)[in the image with the lake--credit for this image goes to Scott Reither]. We even woke to several fresh feet of snow [we had to crawl through and opening to get into the cabin because the snow was so deep--there was literally a narrow trench in the snow to walk in]. We all discovered nature in her most beautiful and awe-inspiring form. Yosemite was our classroom for just a week, yet I can honestly say it changed my life. The time I spent there probably helped shape my love for the outdoors. For example, anyone who knows me can attest that I generally carry binoculars and bird book. Many of my friends have even tried to amuse me by looking at a star or two [thanks, by the way]. The other students that went on that week long trip I still call my dearest friends. Whatever relationship we had going into that long week was changed forever after.

Spend a moment or two and browse the Ansel Adams gallery of photos and take a look at Yosemite through those links. And if you're ever near Northern California, you really must stop for a visit.

And the Extra Credit Option: If you decide to do it, you'll need one something (paper, poster, power point, etc.) of one National Park other than Yosemite or Yellowstone. Its worth up to 20 points depending on your level of product. This offer expires Friday evening the 26th of this month.

UPDATE: You can turn it in any way you want. Messenger Pigeon, slow boat to China, airmail, FEDEX, UPS, email, printout...they are all good.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Raine! I'm making a powerpoint, how do you want me to turn it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would a "slow boat to china" be able to get to you in four days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you would ask, because I sort of questioned it as I typed it in. Would a slow boat FROM china make things different? Probably not, and perhaps the euphemism strangles the message intent. Perhaps not. Perhaps I've actually talked this into the ground. Perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was so excited that for this extra credit until you said it couldn't be yellowstone. i have an AMAZING (if i do say so myself) yellowstone powerpoint that i did for science last year. But i can't use it. and i don't have time to make another one.. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait Nicole...go ahead...submit it and lets see what you have. I'm sure it's worth something. :)

    ReplyDelete