Friday, November 13, 2009

Protein Synthesis

So, all of my Biology classes recently went to the computer lab for our follow-up lesson on protein synthesis. It went well I thought. There are tons of great sites on the internet that walk students through the process. Back in the day--after walking to and from school in the snow, uphill both ways--we didn't have the internet for lurnin'. We had to get the information exclusively from the teacher (or heaven forbid--the book). I'm not implying that it was better or less interesting. I'm simply saying that it was different. I know, I know, I am sorry for the back-in-the-day story. Because the old-time stories crack me up I'm sure you'll be hearing more in the near future.

Anyway, back to the topic: protein synthesis.

If you missed the assignment because you were sick or skiing or basking in the glow of the television, the links for the assignment follow. You will need to write a paragraph (five sentences or more) for each website listed.

  1. Cell Scale
  2. Build DNA
  3. Transcription
  4. The Firefly

What do you write, you ask? Um, what you are seeing, what is says, or what you learned from them. It's not complicated. The DNA Fingerprinting website is necessary too. That handout is here.

Oh, we just did a literacy assignment based on a long story. Different classes dissected different articles. This article on the 1918 flu pandemic will work though if you missed it during class. Your assignment, as an alternate, is to write two paragraphs summarizing the article.

Good luck and have fun.

~raine

1 comment:

  1. Alright! Now I'm finally doing my homework. First article- So I'm looking at the model and I'm thinking 'oh. a coffee bean. That's not a big deal. Wait a minute! I can move this thing at the bottom. A human egg and a sperm are that freaking small compared to each other? Wow.' I really thought that was amazing.

    ReplyDelete