Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cough cough cough

Good morning everyone. I took the weekend off of blogging for my classes. But I'm back. Sick, but back. It is exactly like first-year-teacher-sick. Blech. I hate that. A little fever and a cough. The cold? The flu? Me and my DayQuil will survive.

It has been an interesting few weeks blogging. And I happen to have a few followers. I'm excited about it. Terrified, but excited. No, not confident.

A note about one of the followers. Several years ago I started as a principal in a small town north of Twin Falls, Idaho. 350 students. 20 something teachers. I was given two tasks when I was hired: change the archaic and ineffective schedule, and raise test scores. Well, several years later with a brand spankin' new schedule and test scores that merited state award and recognition; my goal and challenge were complete. Well, I certainly couldn't have done it alone. Along the way I met some great colleagues that I am happy to call my friends. I don't believe you can teach anyone, anything without first developing a relationship with them. The staff and I, for instance, had to develop a relationship before we could move in any direction--much less a positive one.

On with the story: two years ago I had to hire for a social studies position. I'm not sure if any of you have ever had to wade through the sea of social studies applications, but I am here to tell you...wear your waders. From mouth breathers (applicants that have a hard time chewing gum and walking at the same time) to lookey-loos (teachers that just want an interview and don't have any intention of actually accepting your offer), the list of applicants was both tedious and tiring. On occasion, however, one teacher comes in and sits down, and you are sure you see it. You see the genuine article sitting before you. Carly was that for me. The interview committee was overwhelmed with her presence and thoughtfulness. It was, for me, an easy choice. And my intuition was correct--Carly turned into a great teacher--inspite of me. So, I hope this posting finds one of my friends doing well and enjoying the climate of her new digs (she left when I left) in the State of Ada.

And not to cloud the post, but Happy Birthday to Sally...call her. Wish her well.

3 comments:

  1. Incredibly apt descriptions of the interviews! Though you left out my favorite bad interview of all time.

    And, I can't wait to see Carly's reply to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there were so many "bad" interviews, I was afraid I'd leave one out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Interviews. What a joke!?!

    May I remind you it was 5 min and I drove 1 1/2 hours. Still bitter.

    Things are good and I am loving life. 8th graders are a different species. Maybe your biology class can study them to figure out where they come from.

    I really couldn't have become the teacher I am without the help of great people. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete